Everyone knows that Google is the search giant, as per netmarketshare.com Google has more than 80% of global search market share. Google is famous due to its user friendly behavior, relevant search results and for many other services (YouTube, Blogger, Google+, Google play store aka Android market, maps, translator and etc.),
Google use its algorithm to place most relevant search results on top. I have read somewhere that Google update its algorithm more than 500 times a year, many of them are minor and few of them are major or large updates. Google Panda was a major update to Google’s algorithm.
What is Google panda?
Google panda is a major update to Google algorithm, introduced in feb 2011 which only hit English search results, In April 2011 panda hit global search results. Till today many sites were smashed by Google Panda’s several panda updates. Matt Cutts (head of Google’s Webspam team) said that the purpose of panda was to rank lower quality sites lower, which will helps to rank higher quality sites higher. Panda is a smart algorithm which sees your site’s quality just like a human. If Panda hit your site, then you will see a big differ in search ranking.
Following types of sites were smashed by Google Panda:
1. Sites with little or no original contents: Many people copy others contents (or using autobot aka auto generate plugins or softwares to post others contents from rss feed) or write a small articles with less words.
2. Linking to spam sites: many people see links from there site, selling links is against Google webmaster guideline and also bad for your site's ranking
3. Getting low quality (or spam) backlinks: getting backlinks using backhat methods or any other way that is violating webmaster guideline
4. Using content farms
5. Using backhat methods
4. High bounce rate: visits which has a single pageview.
5. Too many advertisements.
8. Too many duplicate contents.
9. Too many 404 and other server errors.
How to recover from Google panda update:
Generate unique contents:
Google is keep updating its algorithm to punish sites with duplicate contents. Generate fresh and unique content to recover from panda because panda loves fresh content. Writing interesting and quality articles will attract visitors and also helpful for recovering from Google panda.
Deindex duplicate contents:
Google panda is punishing for duplicate contents, many cms (content management systems) like blogger, wordpress and more automatically duplicate your site’s contents in labels, category, archives, tags and more, deindex them by using robots.txt and robots Meta tags.
Focus on Seo:
Learning seo is also important. Seo stands for search engine optimization.
Seo has two important parts:
1. On-page: On-page seo factors are very important search engine factors from the start of search engine, but after Google panda on-page importance has increased. Title tag, Meta tags, header tags, page speed, keyword research, linkbait (linking to site’s internal contents) are included in on-page seo.
2. Off-page: Off-page factors are also important factors, pagerank, backlinks, anchor text (in backlinks) are included in off-page seo.
Using Social Media:
Social media is also useful for recovering from Google panda update. Google use social votes and signals as a ranking factor. Create pages at social networks like Facebook, Google+, Add social buttons to your site which will helpful for your users to share your site’s contents on social networks.
Increase Page speed:
Page speed is included in Google’s ranking factors. Pagespeed also help you to recover from google panda. Pagespeed was included in search ranking factors in 2010. For more info you can see official webmaster blog post:
After panda pagespeed efficiency was increased.
You can speed up your page’s loading by doing following tasks:
2. Using a single domain for uploading images, javacript, css and more to reduce dns lookups.
3. Css sprites images to reduce http requests.
Avoid using a junk codded template and Linking to spam sites:
Linking to spammy sites can be harmful for your site.
Many people use templates for theiw site which contains junk code, high footprints and spammy advertisement links in site footer. use a user friendly template which hasn't these things